Thursday 5 May 2011

Heaven Lies Under Your Mother's Feet


Due to an unfortunate turn of events, my mum had to bring up three daughters, single-handedly.  I was 6, my sisters were 5 years old and 6 months old, respectively.  Mum had very little education and had never worked before in her life.  Not many decent jobs are opened for someone like her.  She had to wait at tables, day and night to make ends meet.

I recall we had to move to a smaller house in another neighborhood.  I felt alone, growing up on my own, with no father present in my life and an absent mother every day.  Mum was absent because she had to go out to work, leaving me to look after my two sisters every day.  I had to grow up fast.  I learned to make my own decisions very early.
 
During my early teen years I became rebellious.   I recall that I didn't want to try hard in my studies and just didn't want to co-operate with mum on anything.  

I was angry, sad and confused all at the same time.  I didn’t understand what was happening to my parents and to my life.  I kept everything to myself.  There was no one to talk to.  I guess Mum was too heartbroken with her own life, concerned on how to bring up her three daughters on her own.  

I recall her fighting hard for our custody.  We were coached to say that we want to follow mum when asked by the judge.   Dad didn't contest.   He was remarrying someone else. 

I wish I understood what it was like for her then and didn't give her such a hard time.  I interpreted her absence and pre-occupation with trying to make a living as that she didn’t love me and my sisters at all.

At some point in my life back then, someone did have a good talk with me about the actual situation.  He saved me from wasting my young life.  There should be more people like him in this world!  I wept when I realized that I had been wrong about my mum and from that day onwards, tried my best to be a good daughter.


Mum, although you're not here with us anymore, I’m thinking of you.  Thank you for all the sacrifices that you have made for me and my two sisters.  You did the best you could in the way you know how.   We were poor in material possessions but rich and warm with your love.  I feel your love to this day and  I know I’ll never have anyone love me like you loved me.
 
Being a mum is the toughest job in the world.  It's a 24/7 full time job, with no break or vacation, doing the same thing everyday and no salary.  It's the love that you have for your family that make you stay on the job.  Your only reward will be the kisses, the hugs and smiles of your children.

Remember, a mother's love is unconditional.  There's no other love greater than a mother's love.  You will know this when you become a parent yourself.

Happy Mother’s Day to all mothers!

No comments:

Post a Comment