Wednesday 29 June 2011

Blogger vs Wordpress



I thought of moving to Wordpress but unfortunately I find that it is too restrictive.

For example, the lettering for the gadgets and page elements are, by default, in upper case.  

In Blogger, I can just  tweak my HTML to change that.  As you can see on top of my page under the headings "Home," "About," etc. they were originally in upper case but I found out how to do it on Blogger and changed the lettering to lower case.

It's really so simple -- just find the words "text-transform:uppercase" in your HTML editing page and change that to "text-transform:none"  -- problem solved.  

I did this on Blogger and didn't have to pay a penny.  Don't you think it should be free?  Do you think I need an upgrade just to change my headings to lower case?  I'm not asking for some fancy typeface, you know?

In Wordpress, I have to contact their Happiness Engineer and for them to edit my HTML, I will have to upgrade my CSS at a charge.  I'm not allowed to do that on my own.

However, I must add here, the response from the Happiness Enginner is prompt and they are very helpful.  

I've done some comparison between Blogger and Wordpress:


Feature
Blogger.com
Wordpress.com
1.
Themes and customization
Has a great collection of easy to customize templates with Google Web Fonts.  Freedom to edit your HTML to add any features that you want such as floating sharing buttons, floating Twitter follow buttons (like I have hanging on the left side of my blog), etc.  Dashboard is super easy to manipulate and customize the templates according to your preference.  If you are good in HTML, you will have a great time here.  If not, it is still so much easier than Wordpress.
Great variety of templates but no HTML editing allowed.  CSS editing is done by their Happiness Engineer and you can add it as a paid upgrade.  Some of their default letterings are in uppercase eg. Gadget Titles and to change it to lower case you have to pay for an upgrade.
2.
Widgets
Widgets such as Popular Posts, Subscription Links, Archives, Blog Stats, Tags, Image, Text, Video Bar, Slide Show, 10 Stand Alone Pages, Followers, Search Box, Search Box, RSS, Twitter, Blog List to add a list of your fav books, films, etc. Feed to add content or an RSS Feed to your blog, Newsreel – automatically add current headlines from Google News to your blog, etc.
Third Party widgets for Twitter Follow Me button, Floating Sharing Widget, Facebook, Tag Cloud, Charity, Adsense advertisements, Amazon or any other affiliate products are allowed.
Akismet, Archives, Authors,  Blog Stats, Blog  Subscriptions, Box.net file sharing, Calendar, Categories, Category cloud,  del.icio.us, Flickr, Gravatar, Image, Links, Meebo, Meta, Pages, Recent Comments, Recent Posts, RSS, RSS Links, Search, SocialVibe, Tag Cloud, Text, Top Clicks, Top Posts,  Top Rated, Twitter, Vod:Pod Videos.
No Third Party widgets allowed.
3.
Visitor stats
Built-in dashboard stats (more info). You can also include third party tracker scripts — or any type of script.
No scripts allowed. The admin dashboard shows 2 days of stats and daily, weekly and monthly charts.
4.
Image storage
1 Gigabyte. There is no interface to browse through the images unless you sign up for Picasa Web Albums.
3 Gigabytes. Paid upgrades are available to add more space.
You can also upload ppt doc odt & pdf files, etc
5.
Domain names
Free domain name mapping (more info).
A paid upgrade is required to map a custom domain.


My choice is Blogger, because I find the ease of use and the freedom to do my own HTML editing without having to come out any extra cost.  I think the freedom of choice to use lower case lettering instead of upper case should be made available to all without extra cost.

Blogger is truly a FREE site and great for those just starting out to blog.   It is super easy to use whether you are knowledgeable in HTML or not.

Anyway, thank you Wordpress.com for your prompt response and assistance.  I do appreciate that.






Photo Credit:  flickrcc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment